Wednesday, June 15, 2011

NOLA, at last!

New Orleans cityscape



I am wiped out from the delayed sojourn to New Orleans (or NOLA, as I've heard it called often).  I'll share some picks and a quick story that had me chuckling a little.  By the way, those of you who have read my Top 10 Musings know about the pickup truck driver and his evil ways.  Sure enough, ran into one today that was exhibiting the same dissrespect that I had discussed.  Yeh, I knew there was truth to what I said, but to see it right in front of me so soon after posting that piece of info was interesting.  And yes, I did pass a weigh station and it was, remarkably, OPEN.  


Mobile River Bridge near Mobile, AL


My quick story has to do with my aforementioned lack of car knowledge and how I could easily get screwed over by devious mechanics intent on separating me from my money.  Has anyone ever seen the movie "Office Space"?  It was a movie about the typical office where cubicles are king and every job is incredibly boring.  One of the characters was always being berated for not getting his "TPS Reports" done on time.  These turned out to be basically sheets of nothing that were completely useless.  That phrase from the movie popped up in many water cooler conversations across the country.

Well, I kid you not, I had a mechanic inspect my car's engine using a computer and the readout indicated a faulty Air Flow indicator and a faulty TPS indicator.  OK, now that made me chuckle.  Here I am a gullible schlub when it comes to cars and a mechanic tells me I've got a faulty TPS indicator!!  Well, by gum, that was the problem.  $242 later I was on my way to NOLA.  By the way, TPS stands for Throttle Position Sensor.  Makes sense, since my car was having a hard time maintaining speed.


My hotel's inner courtyard



No comments: